Grading the Nittany Lion defense vs. Indiana - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Grading the Nittany Lion defense vs. Indiana

Posted: Saturday, October 5, 2013 7:09 pm

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. — The Penn State defense received a renewed lesson on facing a hurry-up offense Saturday afternoon in Bloomington, losing 44-24 to a high-flying Indiana attack. Led by quarterback Nate Sudfeld, the Hoosiers’ fast-paced offense gradually picked apart the Nittany Lions’ defense until the game was no longer in reach.

Here are our position-by-position grades for the three sections of the Lions’ defense from Bloomington.

Defensive line

The Lions’ front four made its presence felt in Sudfeld’s personal bubble early Saturday, with defensive end Anthony Zettel grabbing his first career sack to keep the Hoosiers’ first drive to a three-and-out. The unit’s day as a whole, despite netting four sacks, varied, however. Keeping up with the Hoosiers’ no-huddle offense prevented the Lions from substituting as often as usual and the line’s inability to consistently disrupt the quick release of Sudfeld left the pass defense helpless at times. It wasn’t the line’s worst game so far this season — the Hoosiers averaged less than four yards per rush — but it certainly won’t be remembered as its best.

Grade: B-

Linebackers

The much-anticipated return of Mike Hull resulted in a mixed bag for the linebacking corps. Although middle linebacker Glenn Carson and Hull tallied 10 tackles each, there were still several plays where the middle section of the Lions’ defense was exposed. Hull said he was playing at "90 or 95 percent" and believes he will gradually get healthier as the season goes on. While the junior missed a few tough tackles, his playmaking ability still shown through. Meanwhile, Stephen Obeng-Agyapong got the start over Nyeem Wartman, who O’Brien said has injury issues as well, but the converted safety wasn’t able to provide much in the area of pass defense assistance in Sudfeld’s 321-yard day.

Grade: C+

Secondary

At the position where there has been the most question marks in Penn State’s five-game season, questions remain abound. The Lions’ secondary once again saw the defense’s most inexperienced members, corners Jordan Lucas and Trevor Williams, be targeted with success. Lucas, especially, had trouble keeping up with speedy wide receiver Cody Latimer, who gained 140 yards in the air on the day. However, Lucas did make strides when it came to tackling, as he finished with nine tackles, including 1.5 for a loss. Safeties Adrian Amos and Malcolm Willis performed well on occasion to shore up the Lions’ pass coverage; but, in all, Penn State’s defensive backs struggled to keep up with the play-by-play adjustments within Kevin Wilson’s offensive scheme. 

Grade: D

Football Columns

My View: Title IX is a scapegoat for college football’s role in decline of NCAA men’s sports
Posted: March 05, 2014

In this article, I argue that Title IX is a scapegoat for the true culprit for the decline in men’s non-revenue sports: the exorbitant spending on football programs by schools which fruitlessly pursue a mirage of revenue.

Comments (0)
In the midst of uncertainty, Penn State needs stability — whether it's Bill O'Brien or his successor
Posted: December 31, 2013

If Penn State brass is out shopping for a new coach in the coming weeks (or days), its representatives need to identify who could also be using this job as a way to boost their personal brand.

Comments (7)
Penn State football: given ‘new normal’ in Happy Valley, 7-5 record even more impressive than 2012 results
Posted: December 02, 2013

There wasn’t a grand reveal to honor Penn State’s season on Senior Day, nor will there be a Maxwell Coach of the Year award waiting for coach Bill O’Brien come winter.

Comments (2)
Purdue coach Darrell Hazell unwise giving Penn State bulletin board material
Posted: November 18, 2013

Hazell thought earlier last week that Penn State’s running game wasn’t on par with Iowa and Wisconsin. Bill O’Brien proved otherwise.

Comments (0)
If Jameis Winston deserves the benefit of the doubt, so does the woman who said she was sexually assaulted
Posted: November 15, 2013

Media, fans and those pesky pundits are responding in a typical way — they’re perpetuating the idea that sexual assault can be the fault of the victim by blindly criticizing a typical 11-month investigation.

Comments (4)
In recruiting ratings, the analysts tab the five-stars, but lower than that? It’s shades of gray
Posted: November 14, 2013

Rating Division I football prospects is a serious business that garners a great deal of national attention. So we had to ask: are these ratings indicative of how a player will perform in college?

Comments (0)
Column: Penn State football once again shows down doesn’t always mean out
Posted: October 13, 2013

A Penn State win appeared hopeless at several points in Saturday’s game against Michigan. But resiliency once again led coach Bill O’Brien’s squad to victory.

Comments (0)
Lions face a gut check in Michigan
Posted: October 11, 2013

The second-year coach said this week it’d be crazy to think Saturday’s all-stadium White Out on ESPN at night is a normal contest.

Comments (0)
Penn State football isn’t perfect, and that’s OK
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 12:00 am

Yes, a Joe Paterno-coached team never lost to Indiana. And no, Penn State didn’t play or coach its best Saturday in a loss to the Hoosiers. But come on, Internet. Settle down.

Comments (0)
Penn State didn’t play horribly Saturday --- it just didn’t play complementary football in a loss to Indiana
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 2:17 pm

While football seems like a game distinctly separated into offense and defense, the two indirectly go hand-in-hand. The units aren’t on the field at the same time, but one affects the other in a major way.

Comments (0)