Penn State may have found its kick returner in Eugene Lewis - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Penn State may have found its kick returner in Eugene Lewis

Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 7:30 am | Updated: 11:31 am, Wed Sep 18, 2013.

Becoming an effective kick returner certainly takes speed and athleticism. But often, even the best athletes who field kicks lack the mental part of the equation.

“I heard Derrick Williams on this radio show, fantastic player here, great guy, great kick returner,” Penn State coach Bill O’Brien said, "and one of the things he said about the kick returner himself is, he said, you can’t stutter step. You have to hit it, make one cut and go. He is exactly right.”

As a senior in 2008, Williams returned more than half of Penn State’s kicks, and the team ranked 10th in the nation in kick return yardage.

In 2012, the Nittany Lions ranked 116th of 124 teams in that same category at 18.07 yards per return. O’Brien tried a slew of different players there last year, but nothing seemed to work.

This year, it appears Penn State has found its man in redshirt freshman wide receiver Eugene Lewis. He’s returned 6-of-12 kicks this year, averaging 25 yards per, and tops the depth chart with running back Bill Belton behind him. Lewis has also caught three passes for 67 yards, made up mostly by a 54-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter of a 23-17 win over Syracuse.

q9H6s.gif

Belton returned nine kicks in 2012 but averaged just 15.6 yards per return. Trevor Williams, Alex Kenney and Adrian Amos each returned four, but none averaged over 20 yards. Jessa Della Valle, aided by a 46-yard return, averaged 25.2 in six returns. Even linebacker Gerald Hodges brought one back for 12 yards.

Lewis returned kicks and punts in high school and even played quarterback his final two seasons because his coach at Wyoming Valley, Pat Keating, just wanted the ball in his hands.

"It got to the point in his senior year where nobody kicked the ball to him," Keating said. "And as a high school coach, you always hold your breath thinking somebody was going to fumble. Eugene never fumbled."

Saturday in a 34-31 loss to Central Florida, Lewis brought a kick 44 yards to Penn State’s 47-yard line — by far the team’s best starting field position from a kickoff this season.

Here’s Lewis’ 47-yard return Saturday. He keeps his feet moving forward and is quick with his cuts, which gets him another 10 yards.

5ltCpr74bk.gif

“What he did on that thing is he made a decision,” O’Brien said. “He didn’t stutter step at all.”

Keating said by playing quarterback, Lewis developed vision and the ability to hit holes when they're closing fast.

In turn, he took that to the return game. Couple his athleticism -- safety Malcolm Willis said Lewis is the second best basketball player on the team behind Allen Robinson -- with great vision, Keating said, and you've got a kick returner.

"You want someone who will make a decision and go," Keating said. "That’s not something you can teach. You just do it."

Penn State ranks 44th in the country in kick return yardage at 22.67 yards per return. It’s still early in the season, but a far cry from 2012.

“Returning kicks, you have to just hit the holes with blind faith,” said safety Ryan Keiser, who has been a versatile contributor on special teams during the last two seasons. “You have to trust that the guys out there will do their job and you just do yours.”

Here’s Williams’ 94-yard kick return against Illinois in 2008. Although he had great blocking in front, Williams kept his head up and hit both holes he got with conviction. His speed certainly helped him find paydirt, but the decisiveness was there. If Lewis can do the same, he'll be a dangerous weapon on special teams.

N8wGqYH.gif

NFL Draft Coverage

DaQuan Jones' father reacts to son's drafting
Posted: May 12, 2014

DaQuan Jones' father endured many hardships while raising his son, but it all paid off Saturday as the Tennessee Titans drafted DaQuan.

Comments (0)
Glenn Carson, Garry Gilliam sign deals as undrafted free agents
Posted: May 10, 2014

Former Nittany Lions Garry Gilliam and Glenn Carson signed with NFL teams after going undrafted. 

Comments (0)
Former Nittany Lions find NFL homes
Posted: May 11, 2014

Forget about Silas Redd and Khairi Fortt? Two NFL teams didn't

Comments (0)
NFL Draft Recap
Posted: May 11, 2014

Three former Nittany Lions were drafted in the 2014 NFL Draft. 

Comments (0)
Tennessee Titans draft DaQuan Jones in the fourth round
Posted: May 10, 2014

DaQuan Jones becomes the second Penn State player to get drafted as the Tennessee Titans selected him.

Comments (0)
Math meets football: Twitter adores John Urschel
Posted: May 10, 2014

Shortly after the Baltimore Ravens drafted John Urschel with the No. 175 pick in the fifth round, fans and teammates took to Twitter to discuss their thoughts.

Comments (0)
Fans, teammates react to Allen Robinson getting drafted
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jacksonville Jaguars selected wide receiver Allen Robinson with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. Robinson watched as 10 wide receivers were picked before the Jaguars ended his wait.

Comments (0)
Jacksonville Jaguars draft Allen Robinson in 2nd round of NFL Draft
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jaguars ended wide receiver Allen Robinson's wait as they selected him with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. 

Comments (0)
John Urschel's diary: Draft day arrives
Posted: May 09, 2014

John Urschel continues his journal series for the Associated Press with his newest post: Draft Day. 

Comments (0)
Matt McGloin's moxie running dry in Oakland?
Posted: May 09, 2014

With the Oakland Raiders selecting Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr with the No. 36 pick in the second round, the Matt McGloin era in Oakland might be coming to an end.

Comments (0)