Recruits reaffirm commitment to Penn State, talk Bill O'Brien and more - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Recruits reaffirm commitment to Penn State, talk Bill O'Brien and more

Posted: Wednesday, January 1, 2014 10:51 pm

Penn State class of 2014 commit Troy Reeder remembers committing to the Nittany Lions. It was right after he sat down in Bill O'Brien's office and the two shook hands.

Reeder, a three-star linebacker from Salesianum School (Wilmington, Del.), also recalls when O'Brien ate dinner at his house.

"He said he was going to be here," Reeder said. "But you can't really dwell on what you can't control. It's time to move on now."

Reeder is in a group text with fellow recruits, and late Tuesday night his inbox was filling up with messages.

After a drawn-out saga spanning the past week, O'Brien — after two seasons in Happy Valley — reportedly agreed to a deal to become the Houston Texans next head coach, making the jump to the NFL so many knew would one day come.

But to some, Reeder included, that move came earlier than expected.

"I sort of expected it in the future," Reeder said. "I knew he wanted to be an NFL coach, but he also told me he was going to see us through the sanctions...He was going to stick around and help get Penn State out of the hole they were in.

"I was a little shocked, after only two years, to see him go."

Despite the nature of the exit and messages "blowing up" his phone on Wednesday morning from coaches at other schools, Reeder remains committed to the Lions, saying he's "loyal right now to Penn State."

He's not alone with those sentiments, either.

Mark Allen, a three-star running back from Maryland, tweeted New Year's Day reaffirming his verbal commitment to the Lions. Defensive tackle Antoine White and linebacker Jason Cabinda — both 2014 commits from New Jersey — did the same.

"We got this bro, get the glue out. We gotta seal this class together!! @jasoncabinda," White tweeted from his personal account.

Former Penn State cornerback Stephon Morris was actually with Allen and Penn State safety commit Marcus Allen on Tuesday night. They were watching the Chick-Fil-A Bowl when the report of O’Brien leaving ran across the ESPN bottom line.

“I was telling them, 'Everything is going to be OK.' But they were in denial,” Morris said. “They were kind of heartbroken. I could sense the tone. It was hard on them.

“I just told them to let it play out and talk about it with their families. I just told them, Penn State has always been resilient. And they have to do what's best for them.”

Penn State running back commit Johnathan Thomas had this to offer when asked over the phone if O'Brien's departure affected his verbal commitment: "No, not really...A man has to do what he has to do."

But not all recruits have reaffirmed their verbal pledge to Penn State.

As PennLive’s Audrey Snyder reported, a few Penn State commits, including quarterback Michael O’Connor and wide receiver De’Andre Thompkins, could reconsider their options.

That said, several recruits have conversations to be had and decisions to be made in the near future.

Meanwhile, Reeder said O'Brien was in contact with recruits throughout the week, telling them he was staying. 

Those talks were had as recently as Monday, but now the 2014 recruiting class and the current roster have to wait to see who will lead them as head coach.

"Just the sense of the unknown. Just not knowing who will replace them. But, it's the nature of the coaching business," Reeder said. "That's why going through the recruiting process, everyone tells you, 'You need to pick the school.' That's what I based my decision on. I just love Penn State so much...Coach O'Brien did a great job of recruiting Penn State guys, and that's why I think we'll stick together."

Speaking of replacing O’Brien, there are multiple names floating around, including Greg Schiano, Al Golden and James Franklin.

Franklin, the head coach at Vanderbilt, is familiar to Reeder, who was recruited by the Commodores. Reeder said, from a conversation he had with Franklin, that the coach would likely offer what Penn State needs in a coach.

“Someone who can relate, especially at a place like Penn State where you need something more than just a coach,” Reeder said. “You need someone who wants to be a part of that tradition, the college, pep rallies and speaking and stuff like that. I could see him doing that.”

In terms of O’Brien, Reeder said the consensus among recruits is that they don’t blame the soon to be made official Texans head coach. Reeder also said he and the fellow commits were expecting the move to Houston after the week of reports suggesting that would be the case.

Now, they wait.

“I think he's a great guy. I think he's going to go to Houston and do a great job there,” Reeder said. “At this point, I'm looking forward to see who my coach will be in the future — the linebacker coach and the head coach — and just start on working on getting a bond going there. I think we're all anxious to see who the replacements will be.”

You, along with thousands of other people, Troy, and more clarity should be brought to the situation when Penn State athletic director Dave Joyner holds a press conference Thursday morning at 11 a.m.

Stay with The Daily Collegian for more news on Penn State’s coaching situation.

1 comment:

• MJP5375 posted at 12:19 pm on Thu, Jan 2, 2014.

MJP5375 Posts: 2

Here are two names that should be considered although I do not know if either of them have an interest in coaching at this point in their lives/careers.

The first is Jack Ham, the 3 time Penn State All American LB at PSU and Hall of Fame LB from the Pittsburgh Steelers. He knows the game as well if not better than anyone. He has also spent the past two decades viewing the game from the radio booth high up in Beaver Stadium. This provides you an in depth perspective of the game which someone like Ham would put to great use. Jack is a great communicator although I don't know if he ever had the desire to coach.

The second person is Matt Millen. Matt knows football but his reputation took a hit as the GM of the Detroit Lions. He has the right type of personality to coach young men and he would be a great recruiter. Can you imagine the intensified rivalry with Michigan if Matt was the head coach? Just saying... seriously I'd reach out to these two candidates before looking elsewhere.

Football Columns

My View: Title IX is a scapegoat for college football’s role in decline of NCAA men’s sports
Posted: March 05, 2014

In this article, I argue that Title IX is a scapegoat for the true culprit for the decline in men’s non-revenue sports: the exorbitant spending on football programs by schools which fruitlessly pursue a mirage of revenue.

Comments (0)
In the midst of uncertainty, Penn State needs stability — whether it's Bill O'Brien or his successor
Posted: December 31, 2013

If Penn State brass is out shopping for a new coach in the coming weeks (or days), its representatives need to identify who could also be using this job as a way to boost their personal brand.

Comments (7)
Penn State football: given ‘new normal’ in Happy Valley, 7-5 record even more impressive than 2012 results
Posted: December 02, 2013

There wasn’t a grand reveal to honor Penn State’s season on Senior Day, nor will there be a Maxwell Coach of the Year award waiting for coach Bill O’Brien come winter.

Comments (2)
Purdue coach Darrell Hazell unwise giving Penn State bulletin board material
Posted: November 18, 2013

Hazell thought earlier last week that Penn State’s running game wasn’t on par with Iowa and Wisconsin. Bill O’Brien proved otherwise.

Comments (0)
If Jameis Winston deserves the benefit of the doubt, so does the woman who said she was sexually assaulted
Posted: November 15, 2013

Media, fans and those pesky pundits are responding in a typical way — they’re perpetuating the idea that sexual assault can be the fault of the victim by blindly criticizing a typical 11-month investigation.

Comments (4)
In recruiting ratings, the analysts tab the five-stars, but lower than that? It’s shades of gray
Posted: November 14, 2013

Rating Division I football prospects is a serious business that garners a great deal of national attention. So we had to ask: are these ratings indicative of how a player will perform in college?

Comments (0)
Column: Penn State football once again shows down doesn’t always mean out
Posted: October 13, 2013

A Penn State win appeared hopeless at several points in Saturday’s game against Michigan. But resiliency once again led coach Bill O’Brien’s squad to victory.

Comments (0)
Lions face a gut check in Michigan
Posted: October 11, 2013

The second-year coach said this week it’d be crazy to think Saturday’s all-stadium White Out on ESPN at night is a normal contest.

Comments (0)
Penn State football isn’t perfect, and that’s OK
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 12:00 am

Yes, a Joe Paterno-coached team never lost to Indiana. And no, Penn State didn’t play or coach its best Saturday in a loss to the Hoosiers. But come on, Internet. Settle down.

Comments (0)
Penn State didn’t play horribly Saturday --- it just didn’t play complementary football in a loss to Indiana
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 2:17 pm

While football seems like a game distinctly separated into offense and defense, the two indirectly go hand-in-hand. The units aren’t on the field at the same time, but one affects the other in a major way.

Comments (0)