Penn State football lost vocal emotion to graduation, but it’s quietly still there - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Penn State football lost vocal emotion to graduation, but it’s quietly still there

Posted: Tuesday, October 8, 2013 12:00 am | Updated: 10:11 am, Tue Oct 8, 2013.

It was Nov. 17, 2012 the last time Penn State faced Indiana. The scoreboard read 45-22 at the end of the game, but despite the victory, the Nittany Lions had lost in a different way.

Linebacker Michael Mauti was solemnly carted off the field after a low hit driven into his left knee caused it to buckle underneath him. The emotional leader wouldn’t play another down in State College.

But he emerged as an even tougher competitor, one that served as a motivator during the team’s final game of the year. He pushed his teammates — while they donned his No. 42 on their helmets — to an electrifying overtime win over Wisconsin on Senior Day.

Fast-forward to Saturday. Penn State players sauntered off the field in Bloomington, Ind. after dropping their Big Ten opener to a team they’d never before lost to. After the game, sadness plastered their faces.

So the question is: Is Penn State’s emotional firepower gone?

Coach Bill O’Brien doesn’t think so.

“When you look at this football team, we have 61 kids on scholarship,” he said. “Forty walk-ons. Can’t go to a bowl. Can’t play for a championship. It’s not an excuse, but we have a lot of resilient kids here. They show up to practice every day and practice hard.

“I think that reserve is still there.”

Mauti and so many other senior leaders on last year’s squad had a lot to play for. He and fullback Michael Zordich vowed earlier that summer to keep a team together that had just been slapped with unrivaled sanctions.

That emotional fire burned in them. It was a part of who they were as the senior class. Mauti, Zordich, Jordan Hill, Matt McGloin. All were lost to graduation.

Despite that, the 2013 team does have emotional leaders. Senior linebacker Glenn Carson, guard John Urschel and defensive tackle DaQuan Jones, to name a few, are quieter versions of the ones who came before them.

Last year’s mentality was Penn State-against-the-world. This year, it’s much simpler.

“We’re just a football team,” Carson said, “and that’s kind of how we want to be looked at. We’re not against the world. We’re just looking to continue to focus and get wins.”

Linebacker Mike Hull said every single player on the team — including those who weren’t around through the turmoil of the past two years — is resilient.

“We've been through too much to let a couple of bad games set us back,” he said.

The 2012 team’s emotional vigor pushes the younger athletes forward. It may not be a Penn State-against-the-world mentality anymore, but now it’s a, they-did-it-and-so-can-we one.

True freshman quarterback Christian Hackenberg said he plans to rebound from Saturday’s loss to Indiana the same way the athletes before him rebounded from adversity.

“A lot of those guys are back,” he said. “And me coming in as a freshman, I’m just going to follow their lead and try to play my role in it.”

The players he’s following might not need to stand in front of a group of Penn State faithful and declare to the world that they plan to save an ailing program. But, O’Brien said that quietly, their attitude is still there.

“We lost to a team that played well and coached well. And our kids didn’t because of that,” he said. “But I think there’s a lot of resilient kids on our team and there’s still a hard-working attitude here at Penn State.”

Football Columns

My View: Title IX is a scapegoat for college football’s role in decline of NCAA men’s sports
Posted: March 05, 2014

In this article, I argue that Title IX is a scapegoat for the true culprit for the decline in men’s non-revenue sports: the exorbitant spending on football programs by schools which fruitlessly pursue a mirage of revenue.

Comments (0)
In the midst of uncertainty, Penn State needs stability — whether it's Bill O'Brien or his successor
Posted: December 31, 2013

If Penn State brass is out shopping for a new coach in the coming weeks (or days), its representatives need to identify who could also be using this job as a way to boost their personal brand.

Comments (7)
Penn State football: given ‘new normal’ in Happy Valley, 7-5 record even more impressive than 2012 results
Posted: December 02, 2013

There wasn’t a grand reveal to honor Penn State’s season on Senior Day, nor will there be a Maxwell Coach of the Year award waiting for coach Bill O’Brien come winter.

Comments (2)
Purdue coach Darrell Hazell unwise giving Penn State bulletin board material
Posted: November 18, 2013

Hazell thought earlier last week that Penn State’s running game wasn’t on par with Iowa and Wisconsin. Bill O’Brien proved otherwise.

Comments (0)
If Jameis Winston deserves the benefit of the doubt, so does the woman who said she was sexually assaulted
Posted: November 15, 2013

Media, fans and those pesky pundits are responding in a typical way — they’re perpetuating the idea that sexual assault can be the fault of the victim by blindly criticizing a typical 11-month investigation.

Comments (4)
In recruiting ratings, the analysts tab the five-stars, but lower than that? It’s shades of gray
Posted: November 14, 2013

Rating Division I football prospects is a serious business that garners a great deal of national attention. So we had to ask: are these ratings indicative of how a player will perform in college?

Comments (0)
Column: Penn State football once again shows down doesn’t always mean out
Posted: October 13, 2013

A Penn State win appeared hopeless at several points in Saturday’s game against Michigan. But resiliency once again led coach Bill O’Brien’s squad to victory.

Comments (0)
Lions face a gut check in Michigan
Posted: October 11, 2013

The second-year coach said this week it’d be crazy to think Saturday’s all-stadium White Out on ESPN at night is a normal contest.

Comments (0)
Penn State football isn’t perfect, and that’s OK
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 12:00 am

Yes, a Joe Paterno-coached team never lost to Indiana. And no, Penn State didn’t play or coach its best Saturday in a loss to the Hoosiers. But come on, Internet. Settle down.

Comments (0)
Penn State didn’t play horribly Saturday --- it just didn’t play complementary football in a loss to Indiana
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 2:17 pm

While football seems like a game distinctly separated into offense and defense, the two indirectly go hand-in-hand. The units aren’t on the field at the same time, but one affects the other in a major way.

Comments (0)