Penn State football lost vocal emotion to graduation, but it’s quietly still there - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Penn State football lost vocal emotion to graduation, but it’s quietly still there

Posted: Tuesday, October 8, 2013 12:00 am | Updated: 10:11 am, Tue Oct 8, 2013.

It was Nov. 17, 2012 the last time Penn State faced Indiana. The scoreboard read 45-22 at the end of the game, but despite the victory, the Nittany Lions had lost in a different way.

Linebacker Michael Mauti was solemnly carted off the field after a low hit driven into his left knee caused it to buckle underneath him. The emotional leader wouldn’t play another down in State College.

But he emerged as an even tougher competitor, one that served as a motivator during the team’s final game of the year. He pushed his teammates — while they donned his No. 42 on their helmets — to an electrifying overtime win over Wisconsin on Senior Day.

Fast-forward to Saturday. Penn State players sauntered off the field in Bloomington, Ind. after dropping their Big Ten opener to a team they’d never before lost to. After the game, sadness plastered their faces.

So the question is: Is Penn State’s emotional firepower gone?

Coach Bill O’Brien doesn’t think so.

“When you look at this football team, we have 61 kids on scholarship,” he said. “Forty walk-ons. Can’t go to a bowl. Can’t play for a championship. It’s not an excuse, but we have a lot of resilient kids here. They show up to practice every day and practice hard.

“I think that reserve is still there.”

Mauti and so many other senior leaders on last year’s squad had a lot to play for. He and fullback Michael Zordich vowed earlier that summer to keep a team together that had just been slapped with unrivaled sanctions.

That emotional fire burned in them. It was a part of who they were as the senior class. Mauti, Zordich, Jordan Hill, Matt McGloin. All were lost to graduation.

Despite that, the 2013 team does have emotional leaders. Senior linebacker Glenn Carson, guard John Urschel and defensive tackle DaQuan Jones, to name a few, are quieter versions of the ones who came before them.

Last year’s mentality was Penn State-against-the-world. This year, it’s much simpler.

“We’re just a football team,” Carson said, “and that’s kind of how we want to be looked at. We’re not against the world. We’re just looking to continue to focus and get wins.”

Linebacker Mike Hull said every single player on the team — including those who weren’t around through the turmoil of the past two years — is resilient.

“We've been through too much to let a couple of bad games set us back,” he said.

The 2012 team’s emotional vigor pushes the younger athletes forward. It may not be a Penn State-against-the-world mentality anymore, but now it’s a, they-did-it-and-so-can-we one.

True freshman quarterback Christian Hackenberg said he plans to rebound from Saturday’s loss to Indiana the same way the athletes before him rebounded from adversity.

“A lot of those guys are back,” he said. “And me coming in as a freshman, I’m just going to follow their lead and try to play my role in it.”

The players he’s following might not need to stand in front of a group of Penn State faithful and declare to the world that they plan to save an ailing program. But, O’Brien said that quietly, their attitude is still there.

“We lost to a team that played well and coached well. And our kids didn’t because of that,” he said. “But I think there’s a lot of resilient kids on our team and there’s still a hard-working attitude here at Penn State.”

NFL Draft Coverage

DaQuan Jones' father reacts to son's drafting
Posted: May 12, 2014

DaQuan Jones' father endured many hardships while raising his son, but it all paid off Saturday as the Tennessee Titans drafted DaQuan.

Comments (0)
Glenn Carson, Garry Gilliam sign deals as undrafted free agents
Posted: May 10, 2014

Former Nittany Lions Garry Gilliam and Glenn Carson signed with NFL teams after going undrafted. 

Comments (0)
Former Nittany Lions find NFL homes
Posted: May 11, 2014

Forget about Silas Redd and Khairi Fortt? Two NFL teams didn't

Comments (0)
NFL Draft Recap
Posted: May 11, 2014

Three former Nittany Lions were drafted in the 2014 NFL Draft. 

Comments (0)
Tennessee Titans draft DaQuan Jones in the fourth round
Posted: May 10, 2014

DaQuan Jones becomes the second Penn State player to get drafted as the Tennessee Titans selected him.

Comments (0)
Math meets football: Twitter adores John Urschel
Posted: May 10, 2014

Shortly after the Baltimore Ravens drafted John Urschel with the No. 175 pick in the fifth round, fans and teammates took to Twitter to discuss their thoughts.

Comments (0)
Fans, teammates react to Allen Robinson getting drafted
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jacksonville Jaguars selected wide receiver Allen Robinson with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. Robinson watched as 10 wide receivers were picked before the Jaguars ended his wait.

Comments (0)
Jacksonville Jaguars draft Allen Robinson in 2nd round of NFL Draft
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jaguars ended wide receiver Allen Robinson's wait as they selected him with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. 

Comments (0)
John Urschel's diary: Draft day arrives
Posted: May 09, 2014

John Urschel continues his journal series for the Associated Press with his newest post: Draft Day. 

Comments (0)
Matt McGloin's moxie running dry in Oakland?
Posted: May 09, 2014

With the Oakland Raiders selecting Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr with the No. 36 pick in the second round, the Matt McGloin era in Oakland might be coming to an end.

Comments (0)