Former Penn State tight end Garry Gilliam makes smooth switch to offensive tackle - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Former Penn State tight end Garry Gilliam makes smooth switch to offensive tackle

Posted: Thursday, August 8, 2013 4:35 pm | Updated: 11:21 am, Fri Aug 9, 2013.

Gary Gilliam has been a part of Penn State’s football program for four years now, but he’s not afraid to ask any freshmen for advice.

Why? Gilliam is now a offensive tackle after playing tight end for the majority of his career, and has bulked up for the switch. Now, it’s just about refining his skills and technique --- and he’s always looking for help.

“Even though I’m older than most of them, I haven’t played this position,” Gilliam said. “Even if it's getting a few things from the freshmen --- everyone has something they can give in terms of information. And I’m more than willing and not too prideful to get help from anybody.”

Gilliam approached coach Bill O’Brien in the spring about a possible position switch. Tight end is arguably Penn State’s deepest position with Kyle Carter, Jesse James and Matt Lehman all contributing on offense last year and Adam Breneman and Brent Wilkerson emerging as fourth and fifth options. Gilliam was buried in that depth.

The Carlisle, Pa., native has had an up-and-down career because of injuries. After redshirting in 2009, he tore his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in 2010 and didn’t return to the field until 2012, when he caught seven balls for 65 yards.

Gilliam was listed as a Y-tight end this past season, a position for bigger, more physical tight ends with better blocking skills. So the switch made sense. He’s added nearly 30 pounds to his 6-foot-6 frame this offseason.

Gilliam, who has two years of eligibility left, is up to 303 pounds and was No. 2 on the team’s post-spring depth chart at left tackle behind Donovan Smith.

“Now it’s more getting done my technique,” Gilliam said. “Little things. A step here, a step there, where to put my hands. Besides that, it hasn’t been too bad.”

Gilliam is practicing with teammates for the first time in about nine months. His transition to tackle was slowed by a calf injury in the spring.

“It’s nice to just put the pads on for the first time and start hitting again,” Gilliam said. “Because for me, it's been since the Wisconsin game."

O’Brien said Thursday that Gilliam will see the field in one way or another. Gilliam was surprised to hear he may line up at tight end, but said he'll play tackle, guard, center, quarterback or defensive back in order to get on the field and contribute.

“You'll see him at either tackle, might see him at tight end, tackle,” O’Brien said. “He's going to play.”

Loading…
Loading…

Total Votes: 0

Loading…

NFL Draft Coverage

DaQuan Jones' father reacts to son's drafting
Posted: May 12, 2014

DaQuan Jones' father endured many hardships while raising his son, but it all paid off Saturday as the Tennessee Titans drafted DaQuan.

Comments (0)
Glenn Carson, Garry Gilliam sign deals as undrafted free agents
Posted: May 10, 2014

Former Nittany Lions Garry Gilliam and Glenn Carson signed with NFL teams after going undrafted. 

Comments (0)
Former Nittany Lions find NFL homes
Posted: May 11, 2014

Forget about Silas Redd and Khairi Fortt? Two NFL teams didn't

Comments (0)
NFL Draft Recap
Posted: May 11, 2014

Three former Nittany Lions were drafted in the 2014 NFL Draft. 

Comments (0)
Tennessee Titans draft DaQuan Jones in the fourth round
Posted: May 10, 2014

DaQuan Jones becomes the second Penn State player to get drafted as the Tennessee Titans selected him.

Comments (0)
Math meets football: Twitter adores John Urschel
Posted: May 10, 2014

Shortly after the Baltimore Ravens drafted John Urschel with the No. 175 pick in the fifth round, fans and teammates took to Twitter to discuss their thoughts.

Comments (0)
Fans, teammates react to Allen Robinson getting drafted
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jacksonville Jaguars selected wide receiver Allen Robinson with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. Robinson watched as 10 wide receivers were picked before the Jaguars ended his wait.

Comments (0)
Jacksonville Jaguars draft Allen Robinson in 2nd round of NFL Draft
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jaguars ended wide receiver Allen Robinson's wait as they selected him with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. 

Comments (0)
John Urschel's diary: Draft day arrives
Posted: May 09, 2014

John Urschel continues his journal series for the Associated Press with his newest post: Draft Day. 

Comments (0)
Matt McGloin's moxie running dry in Oakland?
Posted: May 09, 2014

With the Oakland Raiders selecting Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr with the No. 36 pick in the second round, the Matt McGloin era in Oakland might be coming to an end.

Comments (0)