Former Penn State tight end Garry Gilliam makes smooth switch to offensive tackle - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Former Penn State tight end Garry Gilliam makes smooth switch to offensive tackle

Posted: Thursday, August 8, 2013 4:35 pm | Updated: 11:21 am, Fri Aug 9, 2013.

Gary Gilliam has been a part of Penn State’s football program for four years now, but he’s not afraid to ask any freshmen for advice.

Why? Gilliam is now a offensive tackle after playing tight end for the majority of his career, and has bulked up for the switch. Now, it’s just about refining his skills and technique --- and he’s always looking for help.

“Even though I’m older than most of them, I haven’t played this position,” Gilliam said. “Even if it's getting a few things from the freshmen --- everyone has something they can give in terms of information. And I’m more than willing and not too prideful to get help from anybody.”

Gilliam approached coach Bill O’Brien in the spring about a possible position switch. Tight end is arguably Penn State’s deepest position with Kyle Carter, Jesse James and Matt Lehman all contributing on offense last year and Adam Breneman and Brent Wilkerson emerging as fourth and fifth options. Gilliam was buried in that depth.

The Carlisle, Pa., native has had an up-and-down career because of injuries. After redshirting in 2009, he tore his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in 2010 and didn’t return to the field until 2012, when he caught seven balls for 65 yards.

Gilliam was listed as a Y-tight end this past season, a position for bigger, more physical tight ends with better blocking skills. So the switch made sense. He’s added nearly 30 pounds to his 6-foot-6 frame this offseason.

Gilliam, who has two years of eligibility left, is up to 303 pounds and was No. 2 on the team’s post-spring depth chart at left tackle behind Donovan Smith.

“Now it’s more getting done my technique,” Gilliam said. “Little things. A step here, a step there, where to put my hands. Besides that, it hasn’t been too bad.”

Gilliam is practicing with teammates for the first time in about nine months. His transition to tackle was slowed by a calf injury in the spring.

“It’s nice to just put the pads on for the first time and start hitting again,” Gilliam said. “Because for me, it's been since the Wisconsin game."

O’Brien said Thursday that Gilliam will see the field in one way or another. Gilliam was surprised to hear he may line up at tight end, but said he'll play tackle, guard, center, quarterback or defensive back in order to get on the field and contribute.

“You'll see him at either tackle, might see him at tight end, tackle,” O’Brien said. “He's going to play.”

Football Columns

My View: Title IX is a scapegoat for college football’s role in decline of NCAA men’s sports
Posted: March 05, 2014

In this article, I argue that Title IX is a scapegoat for the true culprit for the decline in men’s non-revenue sports: the exorbitant spending on football programs by schools which fruitlessly pursue a mirage of revenue.

Comments (0)
In the midst of uncertainty, Penn State needs stability — whether it's Bill O'Brien or his successor
Posted: December 31, 2013

If Penn State brass is out shopping for a new coach in the coming weeks (or days), its representatives need to identify who could also be using this job as a way to boost their personal brand.

Comments (7)
Penn State football: given ‘new normal’ in Happy Valley, 7-5 record even more impressive than 2012 results
Posted: December 02, 2013

There wasn’t a grand reveal to honor Penn State’s season on Senior Day, nor will there be a Maxwell Coach of the Year award waiting for coach Bill O’Brien come winter.

Comments (2)
Purdue coach Darrell Hazell unwise giving Penn State bulletin board material
Posted: November 18, 2013

Hazell thought earlier last week that Penn State’s running game wasn’t on par with Iowa and Wisconsin. Bill O’Brien proved otherwise.

Comments (0)
If Jameis Winston deserves the benefit of the doubt, so does the woman who said she was sexually assaulted
Posted: November 15, 2013

Media, fans and those pesky pundits are responding in a typical way — they’re perpetuating the idea that sexual assault can be the fault of the victim by blindly criticizing a typical 11-month investigation.

Comments (4)
In recruiting ratings, the analysts tab the five-stars, but lower than that? It’s shades of gray
Posted: November 14, 2013

Rating Division I football prospects is a serious business that garners a great deal of national attention. So we had to ask: are these ratings indicative of how a player will perform in college?

Comments (0)
Column: Penn State football once again shows down doesn’t always mean out
Posted: October 13, 2013

A Penn State win appeared hopeless at several points in Saturday’s game against Michigan. But resiliency once again led coach Bill O’Brien’s squad to victory.

Comments (0)
Lions face a gut check in Michigan
Posted: October 11, 2013

The second-year coach said this week it’d be crazy to think Saturday’s all-stadium White Out on ESPN at night is a normal contest.

Comments (0)
Penn State football isn’t perfect, and that’s OK
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 12:00 am

Yes, a Joe Paterno-coached team never lost to Indiana. And no, Penn State didn’t play or coach its best Saturday in a loss to the Hoosiers. But come on, Internet. Settle down.

Comments (0)
Penn State didn’t play horribly Saturday --- it just didn’t play complementary football in a loss to Indiana
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 2:17 pm

While football seems like a game distinctly separated into offense and defense, the two indirectly go hand-in-hand. The units aren’t on the field at the same time, but one affects the other in a major way.

Comments (0)