Quarterback guru George Whitfield has high praises for former student Christian Hackenberg - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Quarterback guru George Whitfield has high praises for former student Christian Hackenberg

George Whitfield

Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 12:00 am

In the eyes of quarterback specialist George Whitfield, there are two types of demeanor for football players — thermostat and thermometer.

A thermostat demeanor is one in which the player sets his temperature gauge, and that’s it. There’s an extremely small margin of change emotionally, whether it’s going up or down half of a degree, as the player remains levelheaded.

On the other hand, some players allow their emotions to go as the game goes, going hot or cold rather quickly. That, according to Whitfield, is a thermometer attitude.

Whitfield, who operates his own quarterback academy and has worked with stars such as Johnny Manziel, Cam Newton, Braxton Miller and Donovan McNabb, also worked with former NFL quarterback Trent Dilfer at the Elite 11 camp this past summer.

That’s where he noticed Christian Hackenberg and, more importantly, when he was sold on the then-future Nittany Lion and his thermostat demeanor. After Hackenberg dazzled at the Elite 11 camp, the Virginia native flew out to Los Angeles to work more with Whitfield and Dilfer.

While Whitfield was impressed with the young quarterback over the summer, the guru recently praised Hackenberg even more so for his performances and the responsibility he’s undertaken midway through his first season at Penn State.

“I’ve been impressed with his ability to deal with the chaos,” Whitfield said in a phone interview on Friday. “We talk a lot about ‘pocket tolerance.’ He’s taking some shocks…He’s been hit in the mouth, and then comes back and makes a big third down strike. All of that goes into your competitiveness. Are your gloves always up?”

At the season’s halfway point, Hackenberg, who has totaled 1,672 yards and 11 touchdowns so far, has had his ups and downs. Whitfield pointed out of the highs — the freshman’s ability to engineer last Saturday’s final drive of regulation against Michigan that ended in a game-tying quarterback keeper.

The quarterback guru said he didn’t feel like Hackenberg was on a roller coaster — a testament to his poise and decisiveness in the pocket.

Whitfield later said Hackenberg isn’t just a complementary piece in the Lions’ offense. Instead, Hackenberg is “dealing” thus far and the team is riding his coattails, according to Whitfield.

“We’ve talked. I know how much responsibility he has at the line of scrimmage in terms of protections and formation schemes,” Whitfield said. “He’s not just out there snapping the ball and going to ‘A.’ It’s not too much different from what an NFL quarterback is being asked to do on Sundays.”

In terms of quarterbacks currently playing on the biggest stage, Whitfield brought up Andrew Luck, a former No. 1 overall pick who is leading the Indianapolis Colts into Super Bowl contention.

Whitfield isn’t saying Hackenberg is on the same level as Luck, but said, of the older players he has worked with, the two have similar tools in terms of measurables and demeanor.

That’s high praise for a quarterback who is younger than some high school quarterbacks, as Whitfield noted.

With that youth comes inexperience, and Hackenberg’s rawness has shown on several occasions this season.

Penn State coach Bill O’Brien has said several times that everything Hackenberg sees, he does so for the first time and it will only help him in the long run. Whitfield firmly agrees.

The well-known quarterback technician said his former student is filing away the scenarios he’s faced already, and as he gets older, he’ll draw on those past experiences to continue certain progressions and avoid other digressions.

If he’s able to do that, Whitfield believes Hackenberg can become a dominant force.

“He’s seen so much so young. He’s seen the wicked slider. He’s seen the curveball that drops off the table,” Whitfield said. “If he stays consistent and learns from what he’s seeing, he’s going to be a juggernaut.”

NFL Draft Coverage

DaQuan Jones' father reacts to son's drafting
Posted: May 12, 2014

DaQuan Jones' father endured many hardships while raising his son, but it all paid off Saturday as the Tennessee Titans drafted DaQuan.

Comments (0)
Glenn Carson, Garry Gilliam sign deals as undrafted free agents
Posted: May 10, 2014

Former Nittany Lions Garry Gilliam and Glenn Carson signed with NFL teams after going undrafted. 

Comments (0)
Former Nittany Lions find NFL homes
Posted: May 11, 2014

Forget about Silas Redd and Khairi Fortt? Two NFL teams didn't

Comments (0)
NFL Draft Recap
Posted: May 11, 2014

Three former Nittany Lions were drafted in the 2014 NFL Draft. 

Comments (0)
Tennessee Titans draft DaQuan Jones in the fourth round
Posted: May 10, 2014

DaQuan Jones becomes the second Penn State player to get drafted as the Tennessee Titans selected him.

Comments (0)
Math meets football: Twitter adores John Urschel
Posted: May 10, 2014

Shortly after the Baltimore Ravens drafted John Urschel with the No. 175 pick in the fifth round, fans and teammates took to Twitter to discuss their thoughts.

Comments (0)
Fans, teammates react to Allen Robinson getting drafted
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jacksonville Jaguars selected wide receiver Allen Robinson with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. Robinson watched as 10 wide receivers were picked before the Jaguars ended his wait.

Comments (0)
Jacksonville Jaguars draft Allen Robinson in 2nd round of NFL Draft
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jaguars ended wide receiver Allen Robinson's wait as they selected him with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. 

Comments (0)
John Urschel's diary: Draft day arrives
Posted: May 09, 2014

John Urschel continues his journal series for the Associated Press with his newest post: Draft Day. 

Comments (0)
Matt McGloin's moxie running dry in Oakland?
Posted: May 09, 2014

With the Oakland Raiders selecting Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr with the No. 36 pick in the second round, the Matt McGloin era in Oakland might be coming to an end.

Comments (0)