“It is what it is” — Penn State linebacker Mike Hull played hurt against Indiana and will continue to do so - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

“It is what it is” — Penn State linebacker Mike Hull played hurt against Indiana and will continue to do so

• It is what it is

Nyeem Wartman (5), Glenn Carson (40) and Mike Hull (43) tackle Indiana running back Tevin Coleman (6) during the game at Memorial Stadium on Saturday, Oct 5, 2013. The Nittany Lions lost to the Hoosiers 44 to 24.

Posted: Tuesday, October 8, 2013 12:00 am | Updated: 10:11 am, Tue Oct 8, 2013.

Neither Mike Hull nor Bill O’Brien will deny it.

Hull, a redshirt junior linebacker and one of the leaders of Penn State’s defense, is playing hurt.

But that won’t stop him from being on the field. He’s waited too long for his liking to get back out there.

Hull injured his knee in the first quarter of Penn State’s season opening win against Syracuse, and did not play against Eastern Michigan or Kent State.

The linebacker tried to give it a go against Central Florida a few weeks back because, as Hull put it, it “tore” him up not playing. He recorded just four tackles in limited time against the Knights, but made his full return to the starting rotation against Indiana on Saturday.

“I’m about 90 or 95 percent. It is what it is,” Hull said. “It’s not one of those things that goes away overnight…I’m sure it’ll gradually get better.”

Senior linebacker and fellow leader of the defense Glenn Carson said it was good to see Hull return to action.

Hull tallied 10 tackles against the Hoosiers — just one less than his career-high — and half of a sack.

Even though he tied for the team-lead in tackles against Indiana, the Canonsburg, Pa. native’s performance wasn’t perfect.

There were instances where he was out of position, and, at times, it was obvious that his knee wasn’t completely healed.

But for Hull, who has taken part in two rehab sessions a day for the past five weeks, there are no excuses.

“Whenever I’m in a game, I’m expected to make plays,” Hull said. “Today I hurt my team a little bit so I just have to step up.”

And yet, O’Brien was clearly proud of how Hull performed.

O’Brien said after the game that it’s hard from field level to see first hand how individuals played, but noted he admires Hull for his toughness.

“He’s playing hurt. He’s got the thing wrapped up. Knee brace on. He’s a fantastic kid and a great example of what we’re all about. And he’ll continue to play hurt,” O’Brien said.

Hull, like the rest of the players, expressed remorse about losing to the Hoosiers and surrendering 44 points in the process.

But, Hull made it clear that he was finally happy to get out on the field and rejoin his teammates.

“Oh yeah,” Hull said when asked if he felt like a caged animal not playing. “I was waiting for that first game for a long time and it was like the ninth play of the game that I got hurt. So, for the last five weeks I’ve been kind of frustrated not being out there with the guys.”

Fortunately for Hull, that problem no longer exists.

Football Columns

My View: Title IX is a scapegoat for college football’s role in decline of NCAA men’s sports
Posted: March 05, 2014

In this article, I argue that Title IX is a scapegoat for the true culprit for the decline in men’s non-revenue sports: the exorbitant spending on football programs by schools which fruitlessly pursue a mirage of revenue.

Comments (0)
In the midst of uncertainty, Penn State needs stability — whether it's Bill O'Brien or his successor
Posted: December 31, 2013

If Penn State brass is out shopping for a new coach in the coming weeks (or days), its representatives need to identify who could also be using this job as a way to boost their personal brand.

Comments (7)
Penn State football: given ‘new normal’ in Happy Valley, 7-5 record even more impressive than 2012 results
Posted: December 02, 2013

There wasn’t a grand reveal to honor Penn State’s season on Senior Day, nor will there be a Maxwell Coach of the Year award waiting for coach Bill O’Brien come winter.

Comments (2)
Purdue coach Darrell Hazell unwise giving Penn State bulletin board material
Posted: November 18, 2013

Hazell thought earlier last week that Penn State’s running game wasn’t on par with Iowa and Wisconsin. Bill O’Brien proved otherwise.

Comments (0)
If Jameis Winston deserves the benefit of the doubt, so does the woman who said she was sexually assaulted
Posted: November 15, 2013

Media, fans and those pesky pundits are responding in a typical way — they’re perpetuating the idea that sexual assault can be the fault of the victim by blindly criticizing a typical 11-month investigation.

Comments (4)
In recruiting ratings, the analysts tab the five-stars, but lower than that? It’s shades of gray
Posted: November 14, 2013

Rating Division I football prospects is a serious business that garners a great deal of national attention. So we had to ask: are these ratings indicative of how a player will perform in college?

Comments (0)
Column: Penn State football once again shows down doesn’t always mean out
Posted: October 13, 2013

A Penn State win appeared hopeless at several points in Saturday’s game against Michigan. But resiliency once again led coach Bill O’Brien’s squad to victory.

Comments (0)
Lions face a gut check in Michigan
Posted: October 11, 2013

The second-year coach said this week it’d be crazy to think Saturday’s all-stadium White Out on ESPN at night is a normal contest.

Comments (0)
Penn State football isn’t perfect, and that’s OK
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 12:00 am

Yes, a Joe Paterno-coached team never lost to Indiana. And no, Penn State didn’t play or coach its best Saturday in a loss to the Hoosiers. But come on, Internet. Settle down.

Comments (0)
Penn State didn’t play horribly Saturday --- it just didn’t play complementary football in a loss to Indiana
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 2:17 pm

While football seems like a game distinctly separated into offense and defense, the two indirectly go hand-in-hand. The units aren’t on the field at the same time, but one affects the other in a major way.

Comments (0)