Nebraska QB Ron Kellogg seizes few chances Penn State's defense offers - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Nebraska QB Ron Kellogg seizes few chances Penn State's defense offers

Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2013 7:50 am

It has become a haunting image for most Penn State fans; Nebraska's Pat Smith running around Beaver Stadium with his teammates in chase, silencing the crowd after his game-winning field goal.

For most, it will slowly filter out of their minds. But for Nebraska quarterback Ron Kellogg, III, the moment has become an afterthought to his most important memory: trying to run over five Nittany Lions for a touchdown.

Kellogg went for the endzone toward the end of regulation, but ended up on the ground after the play without the ball. Dinged up, Kellogg gingerly walked off as Smith awaited to kick the game-tying field goal with 4:29 left in the game.

This time, Penn State's defense got the best of Kellogg. Nebraska coach Bo Pelini said the Lions' had the toughest defensive line his team has seen this season. Kellogg learned that the hard way on his rush.

Pelini added with a laugh that he hopes the big hit will knock some sense into Kellogg. While Kellogg admitted it was a stupid mistake to try to take on the whole Penn State's defense, he wanted the mistake.

"All I was trying to prove on that run," Kellogg said," ...was to show that 'Hey, I'm putting it all on the line for you guys...I want a touchdown.'"

The senior said he's feeling the bruises now, but the pain eases with the victory. Though, the bruises are something that Kellogg may never want to fade.

Kellogg, who threw a career-high 191 yards going 20-for-34, did not start. Instead, he filled in for Tommy Armstrong Jr., who left the game early in the first after an ankle injury.

Kellogg immediately made an impact on his first drive, ending in a touchdown pass to Quincy Enunwa, which Kellogg said set the tone for him and his teammates. He even made a joke to Pelini.

"I just told him to keep giving me the ball," Kellogg said with a smile. "I was being a dork."

But the third-string quarterback slowly instilled confidence in Pelini.

"He just provides great leadership," Pelini said. "He has a confidence air about him."

So when Nebraska was facing a 3rd-and-14 on its own 1-yard line with 1:22 left in the fourth and the game tied at 20, Pelini decided to show off his trust in Kellogg.

Pelini chose not to run it, but to try to go deep, leaving the game in the hands of his quarterback.

"I thought we were crazy," Kellogg said of the play call.

He added that he tried to throw it "high and short" to Enunwa, trapping cornerback Jordan Lucas into a pass interference call -- a call that Lucas disagreed with after the game.

The penalty resulted in a fresh set of downs for the Huskers to eventually force overtime.

Lucas added he thought he and the defense did an efficient job of minimizing Nebraska's offensive plays. However, that throw was one they couldn't minimize.

Penn State's defense forced the Huskers to punt eight times, but as Lucas said, "An offense is going to have their fair share of plays."

Except on Saturday, the Huskers offense was led by an unlikely hero, a walk-on quarterback.

"Five years of working my tail off for an opportunity like this and now that it finally came," Kellogg said. "...I don't want to it to go away."

Loading…
Loading…

NFL Draft Coverage

DaQuan Jones' father reacts to son's drafting
Posted: May 12, 2014

DaQuan Jones' father endured many hardships while raising his son, but it all paid off Saturday as the Tennessee Titans drafted DaQuan.

Comments (0)
Glenn Carson, Garry Gilliam sign deals as undrafted free agents
Posted: May 10, 2014

Former Nittany Lions Garry Gilliam and Glenn Carson signed with NFL teams after going undrafted. 

Comments (0)
Former Nittany Lions find NFL homes
Posted: May 11, 2014

Forget about Silas Redd and Khairi Fortt? Two NFL teams didn't

Comments (0)
NFL Draft Recap
Posted: May 11, 2014

Three former Nittany Lions were drafted in the 2014 NFL Draft. 

Comments (0)
Tennessee Titans draft DaQuan Jones in the fourth round
Posted: May 10, 2014

DaQuan Jones becomes the second Penn State player to get drafted as the Tennessee Titans selected him.

Comments (0)
Math meets football: Twitter adores John Urschel
Posted: May 10, 2014

Shortly after the Baltimore Ravens drafted John Urschel with the No. 175 pick in the fifth round, fans and teammates took to Twitter to discuss their thoughts.

Comments (0)
Fans, teammates react to Allen Robinson getting drafted
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jacksonville Jaguars selected wide receiver Allen Robinson with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. Robinson watched as 10 wide receivers were picked before the Jaguars ended his wait.

Comments (0)
Jacksonville Jaguars draft Allen Robinson in 2nd round of NFL Draft
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jaguars ended wide receiver Allen Robinson's wait as they selected him with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. 

Comments (0)
John Urschel's diary: Draft day arrives
Posted: May 09, 2014

John Urschel continues his journal series for the Associated Press with his newest post: Draft Day. 

Comments (0)
Matt McGloin's moxie running dry in Oakland?
Posted: May 09, 2014

With the Oakland Raiders selecting Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr with the No. 36 pick in the second round, the Matt McGloin era in Oakland might be coming to an end.

Comments (0)