Tight end Kyle Carter hopes game-winning touchdown catch ignites season - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Tight end Kyle Carter hopes game-winning touchdown catch ignites season

• Carter catches pass

Kyle Carter (87) catches a pass from Hackenberg (14) to score the game winning touch down during overtime on Saturday afternoon. Penn State beat Illinois 24-17 at Beaver Stadium.

Posted: Tuesday, November 5, 2013 12:00 am

Kyle Carter thinks every day about how he can get back to his 2012 form. For him, the confidence he needed came in a play — one he runs almost every day.

After offensive mistakes and a failure to play complementary football on Saturday, Penn State found itself in overtime against a woeful Illinois team. Following rushes from Bill Belton and a completion to tight end Adam Breneman, Christian Hackenberg slung a 15-yard bullet Carter’s way into the front and center of the end zone.

The freshman stepped up and threw one of his best passes of the year, splitting two defenders along the way. After the game, the Carter pointed to the middle of his torso to explain where the ball hit him for the touchdown that would serve as the game-winner.

“Hack, I mean, he puts it right on the money, man,” Carter said. “I can’t thank him enough, he put it right there. It hit me right in the stomach so there was no way I was going to be able to drop that.”

The play Bill O’Brien dialed up was one of the coach’s favorites, Carter said, and a play they’ve run over and over again in practice. It was his only catch of the game, but Carter hopes it’s the one that’ll get him on track this year.

The Bear, Del. native broke his wrist last year against Nebraska and sat out for the rest of the season. The injury kept him out of spring practice, and O’Brien said Carter wasn’t at full strength during summer workouts.

In 2012, the consensus first-team Freshman All-American led the tight end corps and was second on the team only to Allen Robinson in receptions. Carter grabbed 36 balls for 453 yards (average of 12.6 yards per catch) and two touchdowns.

This year’s performances show different results. Through eight games, Carter’s accumulated 186 yards on 14 catches — nowhere close to where he was at this time during last year’s campaign.

“I’m my own biggest critic,” Carter said, “and I think about my season every day and trying to get back to where I was last year and everything. Making that play definitely helped my confidence.”

O’Brien said while Carter’s wrist injury isn’t an excuse, his relative level of productivity isn’t his fault.

“He’s a heck of a football player and he made a big catch there for us at the end,” he said. “I love coaching the kid. He’s a smart guy. Good student. Team guy. Fun guy to coach.”

Loading…
Loading…

NFL Draft Coverage

DaQuan Jones' father reacts to son's drafting
Posted: May 12, 2014

DaQuan Jones' father endured many hardships while raising his son, but it all paid off Saturday as the Tennessee Titans drafted DaQuan.

Comments (0)
Glenn Carson, Garry Gilliam sign deals as undrafted free agents
Posted: May 10, 2014

Former Nittany Lions Garry Gilliam and Glenn Carson signed with NFL teams after going undrafted. 

Comments (0)
Former Nittany Lions find NFL homes
Posted: May 11, 2014

Forget about Silas Redd and Khairi Fortt? Two NFL teams didn't

Comments (0)
NFL Draft Recap
Posted: May 11, 2014

Three former Nittany Lions were drafted in the 2014 NFL Draft. 

Comments (0)
Tennessee Titans draft DaQuan Jones in the fourth round
Posted: May 10, 2014

DaQuan Jones becomes the second Penn State player to get drafted as the Tennessee Titans selected him.

Comments (0)
Math meets football: Twitter adores John Urschel
Posted: May 10, 2014

Shortly after the Baltimore Ravens drafted John Urschel with the No. 175 pick in the fifth round, fans and teammates took to Twitter to discuss their thoughts.

Comments (0)
Fans, teammates react to Allen Robinson getting drafted
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jacksonville Jaguars selected wide receiver Allen Robinson with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. Robinson watched as 10 wide receivers were picked before the Jaguars ended his wait.

Comments (0)
Jacksonville Jaguars draft Allen Robinson in 2nd round of NFL Draft
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jaguars ended wide receiver Allen Robinson's wait as they selected him with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. 

Comments (0)
John Urschel's diary: Draft day arrives
Posted: May 09, 2014

John Urschel continues his journal series for the Associated Press with his newest post: Draft Day. 

Comments (0)
Matt McGloin's moxie running dry in Oakland?
Posted: May 09, 2014

With the Oakland Raiders selecting Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr with the No. 36 pick in the second round, the Matt McGloin era in Oakland might be coming to an end.

Comments (0)