Tight end Kyle Carter hopes game-winning touchdown catch ignites season - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Tight end Kyle Carter hopes game-winning touchdown catch ignites season

• Carter catches pass

Kyle Carter (87) catches a pass from Hackenberg (14) to score the game winning touch down during overtime on Saturday afternoon. Penn State beat Illinois 24-17 at Beaver Stadium.

Posted: Tuesday, November 5, 2013 12:00 am

Kyle Carter thinks every day about how he can get back to his 2012 form. For him, the confidence he needed came in a play — one he runs almost every day.

After offensive mistakes and a failure to play complementary football on Saturday, Penn State found itself in overtime against a woeful Illinois team. Following rushes from Bill Belton and a completion to tight end Adam Breneman, Christian Hackenberg slung a 15-yard bullet Carter’s way into the front and center of the end zone.

The freshman stepped up and threw one of his best passes of the year, splitting two defenders along the way. After the game, the Carter pointed to the middle of his torso to explain where the ball hit him for the touchdown that would serve as the game-winner.

“Hack, I mean, he puts it right on the money, man,” Carter said. “I can’t thank him enough, he put it right there. It hit me right in the stomach so there was no way I was going to be able to drop that.”

The play Bill O’Brien dialed up was one of the coach’s favorites, Carter said, and a play they’ve run over and over again in practice. It was his only catch of the game, but Carter hopes it’s the one that’ll get him on track this year.

The Bear, Del. native broke his wrist last year against Nebraska and sat out for the rest of the season. The injury kept him out of spring practice, and O’Brien said Carter wasn’t at full strength during summer workouts.

In 2012, the consensus first-team Freshman All-American led the tight end corps and was second on the team only to Allen Robinson in receptions. Carter grabbed 36 balls for 453 yards (average of 12.6 yards per catch) and two touchdowns.

This year’s performances show different results. Through eight games, Carter’s accumulated 186 yards on 14 catches — nowhere close to where he was at this time during last year’s campaign.

“I’m my own biggest critic,” Carter said, “and I think about my season every day and trying to get back to where I was last year and everything. Making that play definitely helped my confidence.”

O’Brien said while Carter’s wrist injury isn’t an excuse, his relative level of productivity isn’t his fault.

“He’s a heck of a football player and he made a big catch there for us at the end,” he said. “I love coaching the kid. He’s a smart guy. Good student. Team guy. Fun guy to coach.”

Football Columns

My View: Title IX is a scapegoat for college football’s role in decline of NCAA men’s sports
Posted: March 05, 2014

In this article, I argue that Title IX is a scapegoat for the true culprit for the decline in men’s non-revenue sports: the exorbitant spending on football programs by schools which fruitlessly pursue a mirage of revenue.

Comments (0)
In the midst of uncertainty, Penn State needs stability — whether it's Bill O'Brien or his successor
Posted: December 31, 2013

If Penn State brass is out shopping for a new coach in the coming weeks (or days), its representatives need to identify who could also be using this job as a way to boost their personal brand.

Comments (7)
Penn State football: given ‘new normal’ in Happy Valley, 7-5 record even more impressive than 2012 results
Posted: December 02, 2013

There wasn’t a grand reveal to honor Penn State’s season on Senior Day, nor will there be a Maxwell Coach of the Year award waiting for coach Bill O’Brien come winter.

Comments (2)
Purdue coach Darrell Hazell unwise giving Penn State bulletin board material
Posted: November 18, 2013

Hazell thought earlier last week that Penn State’s running game wasn’t on par with Iowa and Wisconsin. Bill O’Brien proved otherwise.

Comments (0)
If Jameis Winston deserves the benefit of the doubt, so does the woman who said she was sexually assaulted
Posted: November 15, 2013

Media, fans and those pesky pundits are responding in a typical way — they’re perpetuating the idea that sexual assault can be the fault of the victim by blindly criticizing a typical 11-month investigation.

Comments (4)
In recruiting ratings, the analysts tab the five-stars, but lower than that? It’s shades of gray
Posted: November 14, 2013

Rating Division I football prospects is a serious business that garners a great deal of national attention. So we had to ask: are these ratings indicative of how a player will perform in college?

Comments (0)
Column: Penn State football once again shows down doesn’t always mean out
Posted: October 13, 2013

A Penn State win appeared hopeless at several points in Saturday’s game against Michigan. But resiliency once again led coach Bill O’Brien’s squad to victory.

Comments (0)
Lions face a gut check in Michigan
Posted: October 11, 2013

The second-year coach said this week it’d be crazy to think Saturday’s all-stadium White Out on ESPN at night is a normal contest.

Comments (0)
Penn State football isn’t perfect, and that’s OK
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 12:00 am

Yes, a Joe Paterno-coached team never lost to Indiana. And no, Penn State didn’t play or coach its best Saturday in a loss to the Hoosiers. But come on, Internet. Settle down.

Comments (0)
Penn State didn’t play horribly Saturday --- it just didn’t play complementary football in a loss to Indiana
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 2:17 pm

While football seems like a game distinctly separated into offense and defense, the two indirectly go hand-in-hand. The units aren’t on the field at the same time, but one affects the other in a major way.

Comments (0)