Blitz schemes helping Penn State third down defense rise national ranks - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Blitz schemes helping Penn State third down defense rise national ranks

Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 4:38 pm

John Butler was adamant about his team’s third down defense proficiency after Penn State’s inspiring win against Michigan.

The defensive coordinator believed the Nittany Lions would crack the top 10 in this category after holding Michigan short on 14 of its 18 third down attempts Saturday.

It turns out the defensive coordinator has a knack for predicting more than just opposing offenses — the Lions checked in at No. 10 on the dot in third down defense this week, allowing successful conversions on just 28.1 percent of attempts so far this season.

After allowing seven conversions in 12 attempts in a 34-31 loss to Central Florida, the Lions have laid down the hammer 37 out of 48 times on the ever-critical down in the past three games.

“Our third down defense is phenomenal,” Butler said. “We’ve done the same thing all year. Basically, we have four blitzes, and we have four base coverages, which we mix up. Nothing was new.”

Butler — in his first season as coordinator after coaching the secondary in 2012 — has often stressed the importance of well-timed blitzes, which he offered as the primary factor in the Lions’ defense managing to get off the field so frequently.

He estimated the Lions blitzed the versatile Michigan quarterback Devin Gardner on about 60 percent of the Wolverines’ 18 third down attempts, primarily in an effort to “make him play quarterback,” as opposed to getting loose in the open field.

Penn State’s next opponent — Ohio State — will present another athletic quarterback in Braxton Miller, who has rushed 39 times in just two Big Ten games. In the Buckeyes’ 35-23 win over the Lions last year, Miller rushed for 135 yards and two touchdowns, so facing Gardner was a likely a good rehearsal for the Lions heading into their bye week.

As with all mobile quarterbacks, Butler noted there were times when Gardner found the open field through the blitz.

For example, the Wolverines’ quarterback seamed through the Lions’ rush for 12 yards on 3rd-and-11 in the second quarter.

But Penn State’s defense executed Butler’s third-down play calls frequently from then on, especially in regard to containing Gardner — who rushed past the chains on third down just once the rest of the game in four tries.

“Once you get to third down, you really have to make that stop in crucial parts of the game,” linebacker Glenn Carson said after Saturday’s Michigan game. “Everyone did their job. We came in with a bend, don’t break mentality. If things didn’t go your way, you just keep playing.”

Butler said providing pressure too frequently often represents a double-edged sword, though. A failure to get to the quarterback in these situations leads to abandoned coverage, Butler explained, such as on the 37-yard touchdown pass to Devon Funchess, which left Carson one-on-one with the Wolverines best receiver.

But that’s to be expected when facing dual-threat quarterbacks.

“Everybody has an answer after the fact. Everybody has an answer when something doesn’t work,” Butler said of some of the criticism people have of defenses in general. “We blitzed them a lot today on third down, and they were 4-of-18, so a lot of our pressures worked.”

Football Columns

My View: Title IX is a scapegoat for college football’s role in decline of NCAA men’s sports
Posted: March 05, 2014

In this article, I argue that Title IX is a scapegoat for the true culprit for the decline in men’s non-revenue sports: the exorbitant spending on football programs by schools which fruitlessly pursue a mirage of revenue.

Comments (0)
In the midst of uncertainty, Penn State needs stability — whether it's Bill O'Brien or his successor
Posted: December 31, 2013

If Penn State brass is out shopping for a new coach in the coming weeks (or days), its representatives need to identify who could also be using this job as a way to boost their personal brand.

Comments (7)
Penn State football: given ‘new normal’ in Happy Valley, 7-5 record even more impressive than 2012 results
Posted: December 02, 2013

There wasn’t a grand reveal to honor Penn State’s season on Senior Day, nor will there be a Maxwell Coach of the Year award waiting for coach Bill O’Brien come winter.

Comments (2)
Purdue coach Darrell Hazell unwise giving Penn State bulletin board material
Posted: November 18, 2013

Hazell thought earlier last week that Penn State’s running game wasn’t on par with Iowa and Wisconsin. Bill O’Brien proved otherwise.

Comments (0)
If Jameis Winston deserves the benefit of the doubt, so does the woman who said she was sexually assaulted
Posted: November 15, 2013

Media, fans and those pesky pundits are responding in a typical way — they’re perpetuating the idea that sexual assault can be the fault of the victim by blindly criticizing a typical 11-month investigation.

Comments (4)
In recruiting ratings, the analysts tab the five-stars, but lower than that? It’s shades of gray
Posted: November 14, 2013

Rating Division I football prospects is a serious business that garners a great deal of national attention. So we had to ask: are these ratings indicative of how a player will perform in college?

Comments (0)
Column: Penn State football once again shows down doesn’t always mean out
Posted: October 13, 2013

A Penn State win appeared hopeless at several points in Saturday’s game against Michigan. But resiliency once again led coach Bill O’Brien’s squad to victory.

Comments (0)
Lions face a gut check in Michigan
Posted: October 11, 2013

The second-year coach said this week it’d be crazy to think Saturday’s all-stadium White Out on ESPN at night is a normal contest.

Comments (0)
Penn State football isn’t perfect, and that’s OK
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 12:00 am

Yes, a Joe Paterno-coached team never lost to Indiana. And no, Penn State didn’t play or coach its best Saturday in a loss to the Hoosiers. But come on, Internet. Settle down.

Comments (0)
Penn State didn’t play horribly Saturday --- it just didn’t play complementary football in a loss to Indiana
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 2:17 pm

While football seems like a game distinctly separated into offense and defense, the two indirectly go hand-in-hand. The units aren’t on the field at the same time, but one affects the other in a major way.

Comments (0)