Penn State football gives five former walk-ons scholarships - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Penn State football gives five former walk-ons scholarships

Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2013 12:00 am

If he could, Bill O’Brien would reward as many walk-ons-turned-contributors with scholarships as he possibly could.

But every team only has so many scholarships to give, and Penn State has even fewer — eventually 20 fewer as part of the NCAA’s sanctions against the program.

Monday, the staff announced that five former walk-ons have been awarded scholarships — sophomore running back Deron Thompson, junior defensive tackle Tyrone Smith, junior guard Bryan Davie, sophomore cornerback Devin Pryor and sophomore defensive end Carl Nassib. Each redshirted as a freshman. Because of the sanctions, this may be the last time for several years that this many former walk-ons receive scholarships in the same season.

Penn State’s second-year head coach has stressed the importance of collecting “run-on” talent in the hopes that some can contribute on special teams and eventually more with scholarship numbers lacking because of those sanctions. O’Brien wasn’t the head coach when these five players arrived at Penn State, but they could serve as models for the future with him at the helm.

“I believe our staff did a really good job of bringing some guys in there that have upgraded our roster,” O’Brien said earlier this month. “The top end of our roster hasn’t changed that much, but that other end of our roster has really changed a lot, and that’s a credit to our staff for going out there and finding some candidates to be able to contribute on special teams, add depth on offense and defense.”

Thompson ran for 97 yards on 12 carries in April’s Blue-White game. He isn’t listed on the team’s most recent depth chart, but would likely be the No. 4 running back. Nassib and Davie aren’t listed on the depth chart either, while Pryor is No. 3 at one cornerback spot (meaning he’s the fifth or sixth option). Smith is third at one defensive tackle position.

While these five may contribute only on special teams this season, down the road they could make a more noticeable impact like junior Ryan Keiser, who earned himself a scholarship in February. Keiser “OR” senior Malcolm Willis is listed at one safety spot next to junior Adrian Amos.

Keiser has been the team’s holder for the last two seasons, also playing on other special teams units and at safety. He’s made 11 career tackles.

The Selinsgrove, Pa., native said he hopes to be a role model for other local high school standouts who didn’t get a scholarship, or passed one up to attend Penn State.

“I can absolutely step into that role as a guy that could be a leader for those walk-ons,” Keiser said.

His advice to them: “You have to work as hard as you can everyday, and work to earn your spot everyday. And I’m still doing that as a scholarship player.”

Keiser said he would be happy to talk to high school seniors considering joining the program as walk-ons. He recalled the day O’Brien brought him into his office and said he was now on scholarship, and said he wants others to have that same feeling.

But just because he’s on scholarship now, Keiser hasn’t lost any motivation. That’s evident by the fact that he’s challenging Willis, who has started 17 games in his career and 10 in 2012, for a starting job.

“That’s the point I want to get across,” Keiser said. “Things don’t change when you’re on scholarship. It’s nicer because school is getting paid for, but I’m still working to earn my spot now.”

Football Columns

My View: Title IX is a scapegoat for college football’s role in decline of NCAA men’s sports
Posted: March 05, 2014

In this article, I argue that Title IX is a scapegoat for the true culprit for the decline in men’s non-revenue sports: the exorbitant spending on football programs by schools which fruitlessly pursue a mirage of revenue.

Comments (0)
In the midst of uncertainty, Penn State needs stability — whether it's Bill O'Brien or his successor
Posted: December 31, 2013

If Penn State brass is out shopping for a new coach in the coming weeks (or days), its representatives need to identify who could also be using this job as a way to boost their personal brand.

Comments (7)
Penn State football: given ‘new normal’ in Happy Valley, 7-5 record even more impressive than 2012 results
Posted: December 02, 2013

There wasn’t a grand reveal to honor Penn State’s season on Senior Day, nor will there be a Maxwell Coach of the Year award waiting for coach Bill O’Brien come winter.

Comments (2)
Purdue coach Darrell Hazell unwise giving Penn State bulletin board material
Posted: November 18, 2013

Hazell thought earlier last week that Penn State’s running game wasn’t on par with Iowa and Wisconsin. Bill O’Brien proved otherwise.

Comments (0)
If Jameis Winston deserves the benefit of the doubt, so does the woman who said she was sexually assaulted
Posted: November 15, 2013

Media, fans and those pesky pundits are responding in a typical way — they’re perpetuating the idea that sexual assault can be the fault of the victim by blindly criticizing a typical 11-month investigation.

Comments (4)
In recruiting ratings, the analysts tab the five-stars, but lower than that? It’s shades of gray
Posted: November 14, 2013

Rating Division I football prospects is a serious business that garners a great deal of national attention. So we had to ask: are these ratings indicative of how a player will perform in college?

Comments (0)
Column: Penn State football once again shows down doesn’t always mean out
Posted: October 13, 2013

A Penn State win appeared hopeless at several points in Saturday’s game against Michigan. But resiliency once again led coach Bill O’Brien’s squad to victory.

Comments (0)
Lions face a gut check in Michigan
Posted: October 11, 2013

The second-year coach said this week it’d be crazy to think Saturday’s all-stadium White Out on ESPN at night is a normal contest.

Comments (0)
Penn State football isn’t perfect, and that’s OK
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 12:00 am

Yes, a Joe Paterno-coached team never lost to Indiana. And no, Penn State didn’t play or coach its best Saturday in a loss to the Hoosiers. But come on, Internet. Settle down.

Comments (0)
Penn State didn’t play horribly Saturday --- it just didn’t play complementary football in a loss to Indiana
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 2:17 pm

While football seems like a game distinctly separated into offense and defense, the two indirectly go hand-in-hand. The units aren’t on the field at the same time, but one affects the other in a major way.

Comments (0)