Penn State football gives five former walk-ons scholarships - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Penn State football gives five former walk-ons scholarships

Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2013 12:00 am

If he could, Bill O’Brien would reward as many walk-ons-turned-contributors with scholarships as he possibly could.

But every team only has so many scholarships to give, and Penn State has even fewer — eventually 20 fewer as part of the NCAA’s sanctions against the program.

Monday, the staff announced that five former walk-ons have been awarded scholarships — sophomore running back Deron Thompson, junior defensive tackle Tyrone Smith, junior guard Bryan Davie, sophomore cornerback Devin Pryor and sophomore defensive end Carl Nassib. Each redshirted as a freshman. Because of the sanctions, this may be the last time for several years that this many former walk-ons receive scholarships in the same season.

Penn State’s second-year head coach has stressed the importance of collecting “run-on” talent in the hopes that some can contribute on special teams and eventually more with scholarship numbers lacking because of those sanctions. O’Brien wasn’t the head coach when these five players arrived at Penn State, but they could serve as models for the future with him at the helm.

“I believe our staff did a really good job of bringing some guys in there that have upgraded our roster,” O’Brien said earlier this month. “The top end of our roster hasn’t changed that much, but that other end of our roster has really changed a lot, and that’s a credit to our staff for going out there and finding some candidates to be able to contribute on special teams, add depth on offense and defense.”

Thompson ran for 97 yards on 12 carries in April’s Blue-White game. He isn’t listed on the team’s most recent depth chart, but would likely be the No. 4 running back. Nassib and Davie aren’t listed on the depth chart either, while Pryor is No. 3 at one cornerback spot (meaning he’s the fifth or sixth option). Smith is third at one defensive tackle position.

While these five may contribute only on special teams this season, down the road they could make a more noticeable impact like junior Ryan Keiser, who earned himself a scholarship in February. Keiser “OR” senior Malcolm Willis is listed at one safety spot next to junior Adrian Amos.

Keiser has been the team’s holder for the last two seasons, also playing on other special teams units and at safety. He’s made 11 career tackles.

The Selinsgrove, Pa., native said he hopes to be a role model for other local high school standouts who didn’t get a scholarship, or passed one up to attend Penn State.

“I can absolutely step into that role as a guy that could be a leader for those walk-ons,” Keiser said.

His advice to them: “You have to work as hard as you can everyday, and work to earn your spot everyday. And I’m still doing that as a scholarship player.”

Keiser said he would be happy to talk to high school seniors considering joining the program as walk-ons. He recalled the day O’Brien brought him into his office and said he was now on scholarship, and said he wants others to have that same feeling.

But just because he’s on scholarship now, Keiser hasn’t lost any motivation. That’s evident by the fact that he’s challenging Willis, who has started 17 games in his career and 10 in 2012, for a starting job.

“That’s the point I want to get across,” Keiser said. “Things don’t change when you’re on scholarship. It’s nicer because school is getting paid for, but I’m still working to earn my spot now.”

Loading…
Loading…

Total Votes: 0

Loading…

NFL Draft Coverage

DaQuan Jones' father reacts to son's drafting
Posted: May 12, 2014

DaQuan Jones' father endured many hardships while raising his son, but it all paid off Saturday as the Tennessee Titans drafted DaQuan.

Comments (0)
Glenn Carson, Garry Gilliam sign deals as undrafted free agents
Posted: May 10, 2014

Former Nittany Lions Garry Gilliam and Glenn Carson signed with NFL teams after going undrafted. 

Comments (0)
Former Nittany Lions find NFL homes
Posted: May 11, 2014

Forget about Silas Redd and Khairi Fortt? Two NFL teams didn't

Comments (0)
NFL Draft Recap
Posted: May 11, 2014

Three former Nittany Lions were drafted in the 2014 NFL Draft. 

Comments (0)
Tennessee Titans draft DaQuan Jones in the fourth round
Posted: May 10, 2014

DaQuan Jones becomes the second Penn State player to get drafted as the Tennessee Titans selected him.

Comments (0)
Math meets football: Twitter adores John Urschel
Posted: May 10, 2014

Shortly after the Baltimore Ravens drafted John Urschel with the No. 175 pick in the fifth round, fans and teammates took to Twitter to discuss their thoughts.

Comments (0)
Fans, teammates react to Allen Robinson getting drafted
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jacksonville Jaguars selected wide receiver Allen Robinson with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. Robinson watched as 10 wide receivers were picked before the Jaguars ended his wait.

Comments (0)
Jacksonville Jaguars draft Allen Robinson in 2nd round of NFL Draft
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jaguars ended wide receiver Allen Robinson's wait as they selected him with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. 

Comments (0)
John Urschel's diary: Draft day arrives
Posted: May 09, 2014

John Urschel continues his journal series for the Associated Press with his newest post: Draft Day. 

Comments (0)
Matt McGloin's moxie running dry in Oakland?
Posted: May 09, 2014

With the Oakland Raiders selecting Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr with the No. 36 pick in the second round, the Matt McGloin era in Oakland might be coming to an end.

Comments (0)