Soon, every point will count just a little bit more.
At its annual summer meeting, the NCAA Men's Volleyball Committee voted to make the number of points required to win sets 25 points instead of 30, effective in the 2011 season.
The rule is not officially implemented yet -- it still needs final approval from the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel (PROP). However, in an e-mail, committee chair Brian Summers said that approval will "likely come later this summer."
The proposed change comes in response to a coaches' survey the committee sends out each year to all Division I, II and III institutions.
This year's survey, e-mailed to 89 coaches shortly after the conclusion of the 2010 season, included the question: "Sets 1-4 should be played to___ points?"
Of the 65 coaches who responded, 64.6% voted in favor of 25 points, while the remaining 35.4% opted to stay with 30 points.
What's perhaps even more telling is that 16 of the 26 Division I coaches included in that survey (an overwhelming 72.7%) voted in favor of shortening the sets.
Penn State coach Mark Pavlik, whose Nittany Lions made it to last year's national championship match, said he doesn't think the change will drastically alter his team's training regimen in preparation for the 2011 season. If anything, Pavlik said, he'll have his team play a few simulated sets to 25 points in fall practices so they feel comfortable with the new rule.
"And it will be easier for the new guys coming in," Pavlik said. "Because all high school and club teams play to 25 points so they're used to it already."
In addition to high school and club, Olympic volleyball and international teams also play 25-point sets.
And, in 2008, the NCAA women's volleyball committee revised its rule book to have sets played to 25 points, instead of 30.
In an NCAA press release published following that amendment, NCAA women's secretary-rules editor Marcia Alterman said: "The 25-point sets will add an intensity and excitement level to our matches that has been missing. I believe that players, coaches and fans will agree that the critical nature of every point will emphasize the need for focus and consistency to every play."
That seems to be the sentiment of the NCAA men as they shift gears to shorter sets, too.
And, Pavlik noted, the upcoming rule change to collegiate men's volleyball will essentially unify their sector with the entire volleyball community. "You know, I'm not quite sure how this new rule will play out," Pavlik said. "But it will be interesting to watch."
Bubba Jenkins, who will wrestle at Arizona State next season, recently had some interesting comments regarding his old coach Cael Sanderson.
In an article for The Arizona Republic, Jenkins tells writer Jeff Metcalfe:
" 'I don't like him at all,' said Jenkins, whose release from Penn State to immediately compete elsewhere prevented him from transferring to another Big Ten or Big 12 school. 'He's not someone I would send my kid to or want leading my team. It was time to move.' "
Nick Kosmider of StatePress.com also recorded Jenkins' comments, though they weren't identical to what was said in Metcalfe's story. Jenkins was quoted as stating:
" 'He's got his fans and people who are going to love him, but I've dealt with him as a person, and I know who he is as a person. He's not someone I would send my kid to and not someone I would want leading my team, so it was time to move on.' "
Months ago, Sanderson said he and his staff wouldn't release Jenkins to a Big Ten or Big 12 team because of competition reasons. Some saw the decision as a double standard after Iowa State (of the Big 12) allowed Cyler Sanderson to transfer to Penn State in the wake of Cael taking the head coaching job in State College.
But with a Penn State diploma, Jenkins could have made the decision to wrestle for any school -- regardless of conference -- as the Penn State coaching staff would then have no control over his move.Comments