Documentary 'The People's Joe' to pay tribute to Joe Paterno - The Daily Collegian: Arts & Entertainment

|
||

Documentary 'The People's Joe' to pay tribute to Joe Paterno

Posted: Monday, April 14, 2014 3:06 pm

The producers of "365 Days: A Year in Happy Valley," "The Joe We Know" and "Dear Old State" are looking to add to the cannon of films about Joe Paterno's legacy.

The Porterfield Group, a production company in State College dedicated to "sharing stories that matter," has announced plans for a new documentary titled "The People's Joe: A Tribute in Film and Form," CEO Michelle Hagan said.

The film is set for a Nov. 9, 2014 release - exactly three years after Paterno was fired amidst the break of the Jerry Sandusky sex abuse case.

"This is going to be a tribute film and a great way to round out the other films we've done," Hagan said. "We will be interviewing people who may have known Joe, people who met him on the street and people who may not have known him at all but whom he has affected in some way."

Hagan said the interviews will be filmed around a kitchen table as a tribute to the kitchen table that Paterno's father-in-law crafted for him and Sue Paterno as a wedding present.

The table served as a gathering space for friends, families, and visitors over the years, and this film will serve as a symbolic table around which people can gather to celebrate Paterno's legacy, Hagan said.

The filmmakers have started a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds for the project, which they plan to begin filming in May, Hagan said.

"We want everyone to get involved with this project, as it's more about everyday people coming into contact with Joe," Hagan said. "We're doing this one dollar at a time, and every bit helps."

A portion of the film's proceeds will benefit a group that is planning to construct a new Paterno memorial called "Reflections." The statue will feature Joe and Sue Paterno seated on a bench, and will be placed in front of the Tavern restaurant, Hagan said.

The fundraising and construction of the memorial will be featured in "The People's Joe," Hagan said.

The Portfield Group will be holding an information session at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday at the University Club for the general public to learn more about the project.

Most Popular