Levels to host Dueling Pianos night - The Daily Collegian: Arts & Entertainment

|
||

Levels to host Dueling Pianos night

Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2014 12:00 am

Levels Nightclub, 420 E. College Ave., is constantly trying to bring new and unique acts to the State College area, and tonight’s event is no different.

The nightclub is hosting a Dueling Pianos — also known as a sing-along — event, which is run by Keystone Keys Dueling Pianos, a dueling pianos company based out of Johnstown.

“We’re trying to be fresh and bring things you would see in bigger cities,” Tim Crockett, Levels manager, said. “We’re willing to take the chance to see how it works.”

Levels introduced the Dueling Pianos night to its patrons a couple weeks ago, and so far the response has been positive, Crockett said.

Dueling pianos first originated in New Orleans, where the original concept was to take two grand pianos and use them to entertain and engage the crowd with music and humor, Keystone Keys Dueling Pianos co-owner Jimmy Voytko said.

Other co-owner Tyler McKay said the duo’s act at Levels, though based off the original idea, is a hybrid with a slight twist — McKay plays the drums instead of two pianos.

“We wanted to take the Dueling Piano concept and add to it to make it newer and fresher,” McKay said. “Our goal is to take it to the next level.”

The event is completely crowd-interactive, Voytko said. The duo does not come in with a setlist, instead taking all requests from the crowd.

“With our show, it’s extremely hard to describe what you’re going to see,” Voytko said. “You honestly have to go and experience it to understand just exactly what you are getting.”

From Frank Sinatra to Journey to Ke$ha, the duo knows thousands of songs, Voytko said. They want to offer a wide variety, so that any crowd will be pleased — no two shows are ever the same.

Doors open at 8 p.m., with a $5 entrance cost, and only those 21 or older are permitted.

Most Popular