9-year-old case still ongoing - The Daily Collegian: Archives

|
||

9-year-old case still ongoing

Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 12:00 am

Detective Brian Sprinkle said he's keeping a close watch on the double homicide charges against a Luzerne County man who police said remains a suspect in an unsolved case of a Penn State student who went missing in 2001.

Hugo Selenski, 37, of Dallas, Pa., is a suspect in the disappearance of Penn State student Cindy Song, then 21, who was last seen at about 4 a.m. on Nov. 1, 2001 leaving a downtown

nightclub dressed as a Playboy bunny.

Selenski became a suspect in the ongoing investigation after Paul Weakley, 41, of Wilkes-Barre, told police in October 2003 that Song was buried on

Selenski's Kingston Township property. Police never found her body.

Selenski is currently charged with two counts each of homicide, criminal conspiracy, criminal solicitation, robbery and conspiracy to commit robbery and one count of theft in connection with the killing of two Luzerne County residents, according to court documents

Though these deaths may not be directly connected to Song's, Sprinkle said he will keep an eye on the trial to see if any new details emerge.

"He hasn't been ruled out yet," Sprinkle said.

Selenski's attorneys filed two motions on Monday in Luzerne County, asking the court to exclude Weakley from providing any further evidence or testimony in the case, and said their client is "incapable of perceiving events accurately" and suffering from "impaired memory," according to court documents.

"[Weakley] does not sufficiently understand the duty to tell the truth," his attorneys wrote in the motion.

Michael B. Senape, one of Selenski's attorneys, said he could not comment on Selenski's current case or the Song investigation because a gag order has been placed on the case.

The second motion filed Monday asked the judge to reconsider and revisit the suppression of the testimony given by Michael Kerkowski, Sr., the father of one of the two deceased. Sprinkle said he has not given up on Song's case, even if he hasn't spoken with Selenski recently.

"It's been several years now. I don't know the exact time frame," he said. "I can't really talk about it since it's an ongoing investigation."

Most Popular