Penn State officials and State College leaders are working together to try to stop the sale of alcohol at downtown taverns and restaurants on February 23, this year's State Patty's Day, according to a Penn State press release.
The Partnership: Campus & Community United Against Dangerous Drinking announced 34 locations that will either close entirely or serve only food and non-alcoholic drinks on Saturday to create an alcohol-free zone downtown, according to the release. The partnership is providing each of the participating businesses with a $5,000 subsidy to make up for potential lost income.
Damon Sims, co-chairman of the partnership and vice president for student affairs, said in the release that the money will come from parking fees from previous State Patty's weekends. Parking officials have kept track of the revenue and directed it to the partnership.
"The decision of many owners last year to limit hours or close all together was a critical contributor to improved outcomes," Sims said in the release. "This new agreement should further diminish the destructive excess encouraged by State Patty's Day, and we could not be more grateful to these business leaders for their responsible action."
The on-campus Nittany Lion Inn and The Penn Stater Conference Center Hotel also will not serve alcohol, according to the release.
University Park Undergraduate Association President Courtney Lennartz said in the release that students need to consider the damage their binge drinking on State Patty's Day causes to the reputation they built by raising $12.3 million dollars for the Interfraternity Council/Panhellenic Dance Marathon the previous weekend.
Jennifer Zangrilli, president of the Tavern Owner's Association and director of operations at Dante's Restaurants, Inc., said in the release she's proud that the association's members put aside their individual needs and views to benefit the community.
"Our collective desire is to see our community and downtown not only grow but thrive," Zangrilli said in the release.
Here is the full list of locations that are in support of an alcohol-free zone on State Patty's Day, according to the release:
1. The Saloon
2. Inferno Brick Oven and Bar
3. bar bleu
4. The Hopshop Beer Market
5. The Deli Restaurant (serving food only)
6. Z Bar
7. The Lion's Den
8. The Shandygaff
9. The Tavern (serving food only)
10. The Gingerbread Man (serving food only)
11. The All-American Rathskeller
12. Spats Café and Speakeasy (serving food only)
13. The Phyrst
14. The Clover
15. Brewsky's Bottle Shop at The Day's Inn Penn State
16. Rotelli (serving food only)
18. Bill Pickle's Tap Room
20. Allen Street Grill (serving food only)
21. The Corner Room (serving food only)
24. Zeno's ToGo
25. Sharkey's Bar & Bottle Shop
26. The Brewery
27. The Darkhorse
28. Kildare's (serving food only)
30. Chili's Grill & Bar (serving food only)
31. Café 210 West (serving food only)
32. Mad Mex (serving food only)
33. Zola New World Bistro (serving food only)
34. The Atherton Hotel (serving food only)